The ASTM (formerly known as the American Society for Testing and Materials) has developed a comprehensive set of standards for measuring plastic film thickness to improve the final product, keep industry integrity and facilitate the entire manufacturing process. Manufacturers often certify that they’ve followed the ASTM set of standards for each film product they’ve produced. SolveTech, an industry expert in plastic film thickness gauging, has developed an overview of the ASTM standards that govern plastic film.
SolveTech is currently developing a new ASTM standard for measuring the thickness and variability of plastic film. See the story here.
This new standard will be more precise than the currently utilized D6988, and it will allow film producers to define film variability in a standardized way using an instrument with good R&R. To learn more about the industry impact of this new standard, you can see our latest article in EPPM magazine here.
SolveTech is actively involved in the ASTM D20.19 committee. To discuss these standards or learn more, contact us. We can help you understand the standards and the tools available to you.
You can also learn more in our article “How To Measure Plastic Film”
The Plastic Film, Sheet and Molded Products Subcommittee
Subcommittee D20.19 on Film, Sheeting and Molded Products creates, maintains and researches the best practices and standards on film thickness and related manufacturing issues. There are several active standards governing plastic film and sheet. The following standards govern plastic film thickness. Below is a list of standards applicable to plastic film and sheet.
- D8136 – Test Method For Determining Plastic Film Thickness and Thickness Variability Using a Non-Contact Capacitance Thickness Gauge
- D6988-13 Standard Guide for Determination of Thickness of Plastic Film Test Specimens
- C1147-14 Standard Practice for Determining the Short Term Tensile Weld Strength of Chemical-Resistance
- D882-12 Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Thin Plastic Sheeting
- D1004-13 Standard Test Method for Tear Resistance (Graves Tear) of Plastic Film and Sheetings
- D1204-14 Standard Test Method for Linear Dimensional Changes of Nonrigid Thermoplastic Sheeting Temperature
- D1239-14 Standard Test Method for Resistance of Plastic Films to Extraction by Chemicals
- D4321-09 Standard Test Method for Package Yield of Plastic Film
- D4397-10 Standard Specification for Polyethylene Sheeting for Construction, Industrial, and Agricultural Applications
- D4635-08a Standard Specification for Polyethylene Films Made from Low-Density Polyethylene for General Use and Packaging Applications
- D4801-08 Standard Specification for Polyethylene Sheeting in Thickness of 0.25 mm [0.010 in.] and Greater
- D5047-09 Standard Specification for Polyethylene Terephthalate Film and Sheeting
- D5419-09 Standard Test Method for Environmental Stress Crack Resistance (ESCR) of Threaded Plastic Closures
- D5946-17 Standard Test Method for Corona-Treated Polymer Films Using Water Contact Angle Measurements
- D6287-09 Standard Practice for Cutting Film and Sheeting Test Specimens
- D7192-10 Standard Test Method for High Speed Puncture Properties of Plastic Films Using Load and Displacement Sensors
- D7310-11 Standard Guide for Defect Detection and Rating of Plastic Films Using Optical Sensors
For over 36 years, SolveTech has been helping manufactures measure basis weight and thickness of finished products, supporting compliance with ASTM standards, as well as ensuring product quality and consistency. Call SolveTech today to learn more about our film thickness gauging systems and how we can help your business today! We look forward to speaking with you.